ESP8266 ESP01 : ESP01 module test and upload code to the module

Before uploading any codes or sketchs to ESP01 module, I need to test the module first. In this project, I use USB TTL Serial Converter and Arduino IDE to test ESP01 module. 
I found many articles regarding wires connection of USB TTL Serial Converter and ESP01 but the ones that I found useful is from this website ; https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/abhinaba/2016/01/23/esp8266-wifi-with-arduino-uno-and-nano/ .
Parts and components :
1. USB TTL Serial Converter
2. 3 resistors,
3. 2 capacitors
4. External power supply (battery). I use four AA batteries.
5. 3.3v voltage regulator with current output 1A 500mA.
The external power supply, capacitors and voltage regulator are use to power the ESP01.
For ESP01 power supply wires connection, I use the wiring from this website; http://iot-playground.com/blog/2-uncategorised/13-esp8266-wifi-module-arduino-connection which use capacitors to avoid voltage drops when transmitting.

Note :
- Previously, I used capacitors for ESP01 power supply. Later I found out that batteries and voltage regulator which use for ESP01 became hot. Once I removed the capacitors, there was no heat problem anymore.
- I found out that voltage regulator that has 500mA output current was not enough to power the ESP01. So I changed to voltage regulator with 1A output current.

Once the wiring is done, it is time to test the ESP01.
Open Arduino IDE, then open Serial Monitor. Type this command :  
AT
It will reply OK
To find out software version on the module, use this command :-
AT+GMR
ESP01 has three operation modes :
STA (station), AP (access point) and both. 
To find out current mode of ESP01 is using, type :-
AT+CWMODE?
The number after AT+CWMODE=, for example AT+CWMODE=2 means :-
1 is STA
2 is AP
3 is both
To find more commands, check out :- http://www.pridopia.co.uk/pi-doc/ESP8266ATCommandsSet.pdf

Once the test is successful, it's time to upload sketch or code to the module. In order to upload sketch to ESP01 module, GPIO 0 needs to be wired to ground (GND). When uploading is completed, remove connection of GPIO 0 to GND before you run the code.

Comments